FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 16th, 2012
Tamron develops the most compact*1 full-size, high-speed telephoto zoom lens
Tamron Co., Ltd., a leading manufacturer of optical equipment, announces the development of the SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A009), a high-speed telephoto zoom lens equipped with VC (Vibration Compensation)*2 image stabilization, and USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive)*3 that achieves leading-edge image quality while boasting the most compact design in its class.
The Canon mount will first be released in the second week of December and the sales dates of the Nikon and Sony*4compatible mounts will be released at a later date.
1. One special XLD (Extra Low Dispersion)*5 glass with four LD (Low Dispersion) elements minimize chromatic aberrations. This combined with a new optical design that delivers high contrast and high resolution throughout the zoom range achieves leading-edge image quality.
2. Tamron’s advanced multi-layer coating technology dramatically improves lens performance by reducing flare and ghosting for crisper, clearer images.
3. The rounded diaphragm*6 affords produces spectacular blur effects, delivering the kind of rich expression only achievable with a high-speed telephoto zoom lens.
4. The most compact*1 full-size, high-speed telephoto zoom lens with VC (Vibration Compensation)*2 image stabilization and USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive)*3 in its class delivers superior mobility, enabling photographers to capture the previously unattainable.
5. Features USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive)*3 to power a responsive AF (Auto-Focus) drive together with a continuous manual focus mechanism.
6. The VC (Vibration Compensation)*2 image stabilization mechanism reduces camera shake to deliver sharp images. This proprietary design corrects for camera shake not only side-to-side and up-and-down, but also diagonally as well. It provides up to a 4-stop advantage in shooting sharp hand-held pictures at slower shutter speeds.
7. Moisture-resistant construction helps prevent moisture from penetrating the lens.
*1 For high-speed telephoto zoom lenses for full-size SLR cameras, equipped with VC image stabilization and USD. Current as of September 2012. (Source: Tamron)
*2 VC (Vibration Compensation) is Tamron’s proprietary image stabilization mechanism.
*3 USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) is Tamron’s proprietary ultrasonic motor drive.
*4 The Sony mount does not include VC, as Sony digital SLR bodies include image stabilization functionality. The Sony lens is designated as “SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di USD”.
*5 The XLD (Extra Low Dispersion) glass is made from specialized high-grade glass, which offers greater chromatic aberration correction properties than LD (Low Dispersion) elements.
*6 This rounded diaphragm retains a nearly circular shape even when taken two stops down from its fully open state.
|Angle of view (diagonal):||34°21′- 12°21′ (with full-size SLR cameras)|
|22°33′- 7°59′ (with APS-C sized sensor digital SLR cameras)|
|Lens construction:||23 elements in 17 groups|
|Minimum focus distance:||1.3m (51.2 in)|
|Maximum magnification ratio:||1: 8 (at f=200mm: MFD 1.3m)|
|Length*1:||188.3mm (7.4 in)*|
|Entire length*2:||196.7mm (7.7 in)*|
|Weight:||1470g (51.9 oz)*(including detachable tripod mount)|
|No. of diaphragm blades:||9 (rounded diaphragm)|
|Standard accessory:||Flower-shaped lens hood|
|Compatible mounts:||Canon, Nikon, Sony|
Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. may be changed without prior notice.
*Length, entire length and weight values given are for the Nikon mount.
*1: Length is the distance between the mount face and the tip of the lens.
*2: Entire length is the distance between the tip of the lens and the tip of the protrusion.
About TAMRON Co., Ltd.
“New Eyes for Industry” is Tamron’s slogan. It suits a comprehensive manufacturer of a wide range of original optical products, from interchangeable lenses for SLR cameras to various optical devices for both the general consumer and OEM. Tamron makes optical products that contribute to a range of different industries. As a leading manufacturer of optical devices, Tamron will continue to devote its rich creativity and leading-edge technical prowess to various industrial fields.
Tamron products are distributed in Canada by Amplis Foto Inc.