FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 16th, 2012
Tamron redesigns their legendary 90mm Macro lens.
Tamron announces the redesign of their legendary 90mm Macro lens,
equipped with VC (Vibration Compensation)*1 and USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive)*2
Tamron Co., Ltd., a leading manufacturer of optical equipment, announces the development of the next generation 90mm Macro lens for full-size SLR cameras. The lens features completely redesigned optics, a proprietary VC (Vibration Compensation)*1, and USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive)*2.
The Canon mount will first be released in the second week of December and the sales dates of the Nikon and Sony*4compatible mounts will be released at a later date.
1. Tamron has updated their legendary 90mm Macro lens with a new, state-of-the-art optical design. The lens, reborn for the age of digital photography, offers VC (Vibration Compensation)*1 and USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive)*2.
2. Adopting a state-of-the-art optical design and a rounded diaphragm*4, this lens carries on the long tradition of Tamron’s 90mm Macro lens in delivering spectacular blur effects. Two XLD*5 (Extra Low Dispersion) glasses and one LD (Low Dispersion) element reduce chromatic aberrations, yielding sharp images and outstanding resolution.
3. Tamron’s newly developed eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) Coating*6 delivers a dramatic improvement in antireflection performance—significantly reducing flare and ghosting for clearer, crisper images.
4. The VC (Vibration Compensation)*1 image stabilization mechanism reduces camera shake to deliver sharp images.*7 Tamron’s proprietary design corrects for camera shake not only side-to-side and up-and-down, but also diagonally as well. It provides up to a 4-stop advantage in shooting sharp hand-held pictures at slower shutter speeds.
5. Features USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive)*2 to power a responsive AF (Auto-Focus) drive drive together with a continuous manual focus mechanism.
6. Incorporates IF (Internal Focus) system, which focuses by moving only the internal lens group, rather than the front lens elements. The overall length of the lens therefore does not change when focusing, thus ensuring a broad working distance.
7. Moisture-resistant construction helps prevent moisture from penetrating the lens.
*1 VC (Vibration Compensation) is Tamron’s proprietary image stabilization mechanism.
*2 USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) is Tamron’s proprietary ultrasonic motor drive.
*3 The Sony mount does not include VC, as Sony digital SLR bodies include image stabilization functionality. The Sony lens is designated as “SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 USD”.
*4 This rounded diaphragm retains a nearly circular shape even when taken two stops down from its fully open state.
*5 The XLD (Extra Low Dispersion) glass is made from specialized high-grade glass, which offers greater chromatic aberration correction properties than LD (Low Dispersion) elements.
*6 The eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) Coating is a new nanotechnology-based coating technique developed by Tamron to reduce unwanted reflection.
*7 From 3m, the benefits of VC (Vibration Compensation) gradually decrease as the focus distance becomes closer.
|Angle of view (diagonal):||27°02′ (with full-size SLR cameras)|
|17°37′ (with APS-C sized sensor digital SLR cameras)|
|Lens construction:||14 elements in 11 groups|
|Minimum focus distance:||0.3m (11.8 in)|
|Maximum magnification ratio:||1:1|
|Working distance:||139mm (5.5 in)|
|Length*1:||114.5mm (4.5 in)*|
|Entire length*2:||122.9mm (4.8 in)*|
|Weight:||550g (19.4 oz)*|
|No. of diaphragm blades:||9 (rounded diaphragm)|
|Standard accessory:||Lens hood|
|Compatible mounts:||Canon, Nikon, Sony|
Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. may be changed without prior notice.
*Length, entire length and weight values given are for the Nikon mount.
*1: Length is the distance between the mount face and the tip of the lens.
*2: Entire length is the distance between the tip of the lens and the tip of the protrusion.
This new lens will be sold alongside its predecessor, the SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 (Model 272E).
What is the eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) Coating?
Developed by Tamron, the eBAND Coating is a new coating technique that drastically improves anti-reflection properties. A nano-structured layer (1nm = 1/1,000,000mm) with dimensions smaller than the wavelengths of visible rays of light is deployed on top of multiple coating layers to maximize efficiency.
The nano-structure of the eBAND Coating renders an extremely low refractive index by minimizing the differential with that of air while actively inducing air to its own structure, thus significantly suppressing the extent and degree of reflections.
As a hybrid technology using a newly developed nano-structured layer with an extremely low refractive index and conventional multiple-layer coatings, the eBAND Coating provides superb anti-reflection performance, delivering crisp, razor sharp images, and remarkably eliminating the flare and ghosting that can noticeably reduce image quality.
About TAMRON Co., Ltd.
“New Eyes for Industry” is Tamron’s slogan. It suits a comprehensive manufacturer of a wide range of original optical products, from interchangeable lenses for SLR cameras to various optical devices for both the general consumer and OEM. Tamron makes optical products that contribute to a range of different industries. As a leading manufacturer of optical devices, Tamron will continue to devote its rich creativity and leading-edge technical prowess to various industrial fields.
Tamron products are distributed in Canada by Amplis Foto Inc.